Stay. Sip. Explore.
Relaxing in your living room with a leather-bound book in one hand and a glass of fine wine in the other is hard to beat. But sometimes you need to trade one comfort zone for another. And few places are more relaxing or more tranquil than West Kelowna (or the Westside as the locals like to call it) in the Okanagan Valley. There are vineyards as far as the eye can see, more hiking and biking trails than people, and wonderful places to stay. To highlight the best places to stay, sip, and play, we’ve partnered with Expedia.ca to create a helpful guide to West Kelowna. Read below!
Places to Stay
There’s no shortage of cute, quaint, romantic, and luxurious West Kelowna hotels in this area. Here’s our list of a few that you should consider:
- How does waking up with unobstructed views of beautiful Okanagan Lake sound? If that’s something that appeals to you—and it should—look at the digs that are on offer at The Cove Lakeside Resort. Located on the lake’s western shoreline, these accommodations are a cut above most. Sure, you can book yourself a traditional one-bed guest room, but where’s the fun in that? Splurge on a three-bedroom suite that resembles something along the lines of a penthouse at the top of a downtown Vancouver high rise.
- If you’re travelling with your significant other and looking for a place that is the epitome of romance, look no further than A View to Remember Bed & Breakfast. You and your special someone will love waking up to an early morning meal of fresh fruit and juice, waffles, eggs, or just about any other classic breakfast dish you can dream of.
- Let’s keep the romance going, shall we? Snuggle up with you-know-who at the Chez Nicole Bed and Breakfast where accommodations like the Lakeview Room and the Forest Room—both complete with plush bathrobes—await you. But if you and yours want to spring for something that will have you living in the lap of luxury, book yourself a stay at the Teehouse B&B. Either the Albatross or the Condor Suite will suit you two lovebirds just fine.
Wineries on Wineries
California has the vine rich region of Napa and Sonoma. Italy, of course, is the home of Tuscany. But if you want to visit a wine lover’s paradise that can go toe-to-toe with those mentioned above, make your way to the Okanagan Valley. Check out the list of our favorite wineries below:
- The Hatch. Nestled among the vines with views of Mt Boucherie, vineyards and Okanagan Lake, there may be no better place to enjoy a glass of vino than this joint.
- Mission Hill Winery. Yes, the wines here are great and the views are spectacular, but just wait until you have a meal at the Terrace Restaurant.
- Little Straw Vineyards. You better believe that there are unbelievable lake views at this vineyard. Be sure to take part in their food and wine tasting at the Barrel Top Grill.
- Grizzli Winery. The interior of this place looks more like a luxurious modern-day ski lodge rather than a winery. That is, until you get a look at row after row of beautiful wines in the warm sunshine.
Why settle for just one glass? The Westside Wine Trail is a wonderful way to experience the finest wineries and vineyards in the valley. The trail includes some of the wineries listed above, as well as nine others including the Ciao Bella Winery, Indigenous World Winery, and Rollingdale Winery. Glasses of fine liquid silk with unbelievable lake views, what could be better?
Hanging at the wineries all day is fun, but you’ve got to get out and explore this area’s natural beauty. Here’s what we think you should do below:
- Hiking and Biking: The trails that zig-zag their way through Glen Canyon Regional Park are perfect for channeling your inner explorer.
- Rent a bike: Head over to Outbound Cycle and get yourself a four-speed mountain bike, because those trails at Smith Creek are calling your name.
- Pegasus Riding School and Trail Rides: If you aren’t into flying down a mountain trail on two wheels, worry not. The Pegasus Riding School is here to teach how to handle your four-legged equine friend so you enjoy the beauty of Okanagan on horseback.
- Sovereign Cycle: Not sure which trail to head out on? Worry not, join in on a group ride with Sovereign Cycle. Each Tuesday night a group heads out to hit the trails of Smith Creek or Rose Valley.
- Local Flavours: There is no better way to get a taste of the Okanagan then by taking a self-guided tour of the Westside Farm Loop. Here you can find charming farmgate operations, u-pick orchards and the freshest local tastes.
After reading this, it’s safe to say you’re like a walking encyclopedia of the Okanagan Valley! Enjoy your stay, enjoy your wine, and enjoy your life on the Westside.