We are constantly impressed with our local businesses and the community and how we have rallied to support each other. These are challenging times and your provincial and federal governments are stepping in to help businesses and employees with financial aid and assistance.
In order to help you navigate the various programs available, we will use this platform as a place to gather and disseminate information and links for you.
Last Updated: June 5, 2020
Resources for Reopening:
- BC Restart Plan – the phased approach to the gradual opening of industries in the Province of BC
- BC Restaurant and Foodservices Association Reopen Plan – industry guidelines for food services from the BCFRA
- Worksafe BC: Protocols for Accommodation providers to return to operation
- Worksafe BC: Protocols for Restaurants, Cafes, and Pubs to return to operations
- Worksafe BC: Protocols for Personal Service (Salons & Spas) to return to operations
Destination BC has a page dedicated to COVID-19 updates, along with a messaging guide for BC’s Tourism Industry.
Thompson Okanagan Tourism Association
At the end of April, 2020 TOTA launched the Tourism Resiliency Program in partnership with the Ministry of Tourism, TIABC, Indigenous Tourism BC, Destination BC, and community DMOs like Visit Westside to support tourism business operators. If you are looking for personal support to navigate the variety of support programs available for your business, please visit tourismresiliency.ca/tota/ or call them directly at 1-877-431-8489 to book an appointment with one of the TOTA staff.
Government of Canada
A comprehensive webpage from the Government of Canada that has information and links about support for individuals, support for business and other related links.
Information on the Canada Emergency Response Benefit. Scroll to the bottom of this page on how to apply and get started with your application.
Update: April 8th the Government of Canada announced further flexibility for employers to access the Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy.
Update: May 5 the Government of Canada has a number of lending options to help provide some financial supports to tourism business operators
- Provincial One-Stop Resource for Businesses PDF
- Information and a link to the BC Temporary Rental Supplement Program.
- On March 23rd the provincial government announced the COVID-19 Action Plan: BC’s first steps to support people, business.
- City of West Kelowna: On April 7th Council reduced the proposed tax rate increase by two percent, from 4.8 percent down to 2.8 percent. They also approved an amendment to the Water Rates Schedule in the Fees and Charges Bylaw to waive the one percent interest charged on outstanding balances through to the end of 2020.
- On April 28th, City Council extended the deadline for residential and commercial property tax payments from July 2 to September 30, 2020 without any penalty to help businesses manage their cashflow.
Webinars for Business
Small Business BC has webinars on a wide variety of topics. These range from how to pivot to adding a delivery service to your business and market research to financial planning and operations management. A few are free while others have a nominal cost to participate.
Click on the above link for a PDF that contains links for information on:
- accessing credit & financing
- paying your employees
- help with taxes
- pivoting your business operations
- BC Hydro Customer Assistance Program
- ICBC Commercial Insurance
- Canada Emergency Response Benefit
- And more
The BC Economic Development Association has a shareable live document with links and information on banking and insurance, employer information and resources for businesses. Because it is a live document, it is up-to-date with the latest information and links.