We have a naturally inviting playground here in West Kelowna. The lake landscape is welcoming while our pine forests beckon you to explore them.
Some beaches are made for crowds and others are for relaxation. Our beaches fall somewhere in the middle with a heavy emphasis on relaxation and ‘family friendly’. It may be your first time here and while for others it is the nostalgia of family vacations that keeps them coming back. But one thing is for certain, our beaches all have the same elements: gentle waves coming upon the shore, the distant sounds of motor boats, the low buzz of laughter and the sounds of weeping willow branches swaying back and forth under the hot Okanagan sun.
The sights are familiar and unchanged over the years: glistening blue waters, colourful boats and kayaks gliding by in the distance and mountains rising up to the brilliant blue skies.
Gellatly Bay Waterfront
On the north end of the bay visitors will find a gathering of three distinct beaches: Rotary which offers a grassy park and picnic tables, Gellatly Dog Beach where Fido can run and splash in the water in a safe fenced in area and the CNR/Gellatly Aquatic Park where diving boards, ziplines and wharf can be found.
The south end of the Gellatly Bay Waterfront has another clustering of beaches. Willow Beach is the popular beach for sandcastle building and beach volleyball, Marina Park with its playground and picnic shelter and the anchor of the bay, the Gellatly Nut Farm Regional Park. This beach is a pebble beach with a playground and tranquil walking paths through a century old working nut farm.
Top 5 Beaches
- Willow Beach – Gellatly Rd This main beach area is a favourite and the sand is perfect for building sandcastles. With a volleyball court off to the side, picnic tables and trees for shade, it is the ideal all-ages beach destination. A small seasonal concession stand operates across the road from the beach.
- Marina Park – Gellatly Rd This park has a pebble beach, a grass area, a covered picnic facility and a playground. It is perfect for those with small children as both the park and beach areas are fenced in.
- Pritchard Park – Pritchard Rd Located in a quiet residential neighbourhood, there are plenty of sunny and shady spots, making it perfect place to swim, play volleyball, picnic or walk out on the dock.
- Gellatly Nut Farm – Whitworth Rd This historic nut farm also has a swimming beach! Large shade trees, a small rock beach with a gradual slope into the water, grass and a playground nearby make this a perfect off the beaten path swimming beach to enjoy.
- Bear Creek Provincial Park – Day Use Area – Westside Rd The swim area is narrow, marked with buoys and covers over 400 metres of coarse sandy beach lakeshore. There are also grassy areas, picnic spots and change rooms in the day use area of this provincial park.
One of the most popular parks is the Westbank Centre Park – a multi use park housing a walking track, a water spray park, a community garden and a fenced in off-leash dog park! During the early morning hours people can be found in the park doing yoga or doing laps around the track, while the afternoon brings out the families and the grandparents to the waterspray park. There is nothing better than to splay in the water and run through the sprayers on a hot summer day!
Top 5 Parks
- The great mixed use area of Westbank Centre Park combining a spray park, walking track and community garden into one fantastic park gets top marks from us.
- Zipling into the warm waters of Lake Okanagan and diving off the boards at the Gellatly Waterfront Park. Need we say more?
- Pritchard Park for grassy areas, picnic tables and beach volleyball courts.
- The century old Gellatly Nut Farm Regional Park is a favourite place to hang out during the hot summer days, as the canopy of trees provides beautiful shade and the picture taking for portraits is beautiful. It is the number one request spot for family photos in West Kelowna!
- We can’t narrow it down to five as our last choice combines all the pet friendly parks West Kelowna has! Fenced in off leash dog parks can be found at Westbank Centre Park off May St and in Shannon Woods off Shannon Lake Rd. Our community is so friendly that we also have two off-leash dog beaches! A fenced in one at the Gellatly Bay waterfront on Gellatly Rd and one at Kalamoir Regional Park.
- Rotary Park | Gellatly Rd & Boucherie Rd – Gellatly Waterfront
- Pritchard Park | 1595 Pritchard Dr
- Marina Park | 4123 Gellatly Rd
- Gellatly Nut Farm Regional Park | 2375 Whitworth Rd
- Shannon Lake Regional Park | 2375 Swite Rd
Casa Loma/John Dupuis Boat Launch: Motorized Boat Launch. Take Campbell Rd Exit off of Hwy 97. Travel for approximate 2km to where Campbell Rd corners left; turn left on Casa Loma Rd. Boat Launch is on right hand side.
Gellatly Boat Launch: Motorized Boat Launch: Take Gellatly Rd Exit and head towards the lake. Turn right once you reach the lake. Boat launch is next to the Yacht Club.
Paddlewheeler Park: Non-Motorized Boat Launch: on Pritchard Dr.